The Blog for

The Blog for

Sunday, August 3, 2014

The Storm Before the Calm

I wanted to back up just a bit and give you a little more filler as to how we arrived at our boat purchasing dilemma. 
As I alluded to previously, with Lisa's urging, I found a place at Lake Murray, SC that would not only rent a sailboat to qualified individuals but will also teach you the finer points on how to handle a boat. 
It was sometime in October of 2011 on a Saturday afternoon when Lisa and I pulled into Lanier Sailing at Southshore Marina in Lexington. I had called ahead and talked to Paula, a sweet helpful woman who was more than happy to make all our reservations and told us where we needed to be and who we needed to talk to when we got there.  

We arrived at the appointed time and were warmly greeted by Brian the proprietor and as it just so happened was married to Paula.  It always amazes me how those things work out. 
Just so you know and you want be shocked if you ever meet him, Brian has a British accent. So please don't gawk and stare like I did and in case you didn't know speaking slower and louder doesn't help the conversation go any smoother.


Anyway, Brian invited us into his office and after a brief session of small talk he decided to begin his lengthy interrogation as to my skill level and seaworthiness. I immediately knew that Brian had not had much experience in dealing with seasoned veterans of the sea, if he had then he would have know that he was only inviting a litany of sailing stories and blatant lies. Both of which I was more than willing to provide. Please bear in mind I'm doing all this in front of woman that I am trying mightily to impress. After a bit I noticed that Brian's eyes were rolling around uncontrollably and Lisa had wandered over to examine the cartoon artwork of a chamber of commerce map of Lake Murray and the surrounding area. Taking my cue I stroked Brian a check and he had us fill out the required insurance forms and contracts swearing that we would not hold him responsible for any damage we may do to ourselves while on the boat. Based on my past experiences in sailing I decided that he had, indeed been around seasoned sailors.

In an effort to eventually get his boat back Brian gave us a map (at no additional cost) and began to point out landmarks to us. If you ever spent anytime trying to navigate a boat you know nothing ever looks the same coming back as it does going out. So Brian began to highlight places like the house with the green roof or the house with the observatory or, well you get the idea. I'm nodding and and staring at the map all the while thinking it's been 11 years since I've pulled a line (rope for all you landlubbers) on a sailboat and I'm getting ready to take this woman out on the water and I don't want to look like a complete dummy. Luckily Lisa was paying close attention to some good information that would certainly come in handy later in the day.

The three of us head down to the docks and Brian shows us the cute little Capri 22 we would be taking out. I stood and examined her carefully with a discerning eye all the while trying to trace the lines to make sure I remembered what would happen when I pulled a particular line (rope for all you landlubbers)  Brian continued, with his British accent, to point out some of the finer details of how the boat handles, like how to crank the engine, where the life preservers were kept and numbers to call if we got into trouble.  I was beginning to doubt my earlier decision about his experience in dealing with seasoned veterans of the sea.

So now we are ready to head out. The motor is cranked, sails are hanked, halyards and sheets are attached (ropes for all you landlubbers) and we cast off. As we clear the dock I look back over my shoulder for some reassurance and Brian is smiling and waving with his British accent, no help. I look at Lisa and she is smiling and seems to be so excited. I, on the other hand, am trying to keep my anxiety attack under control by constantly checking the wind vane and giving Lisa a monologue on how the boat works. Little did she know that I was giving myself a quick refresher course on how to make this blooming thing move forward.  We got out of the slew and turned into the wind Lisa took the tiller like a champ, I raised the sails. we beared away, cut off the engine and lifted it out of the water. The sails filled, the boat heeled over and pickup speed...that's when it happened. It all came back and the feelings, the freedom, the wanderlust, the sense of controlling your own destination and destiny. I was hooked all over again. 

Needless to say we made it back and promptly joined Happy Sails Club. Brian took me out and tested me on my sailing skills. We had a great time and became friends in a couple of hours as only time on a sailboat can do. Brian is an excellent teacher. His knowledge base and skill set are invaluable to have around the lake. He has a patient style of instructing that just makes it fun to be out on the water. So if you're so inclined, get in touch with Brian and do yourself a favor...GO SAILING!

Below are some pictures of Lisa, Haley and me while we were sailing with Happy Sails. 
Happy Sails, Happy Times








   

No comments:

Post a Comment